Update 8/6/22: It’s also possible to get $250 in branch, but there is no 5% back on gas purchases.
Chase is offering an additional bonus on the Chase Freedom Flex and Chase Freedom Unlimited cards:
- Get the standard $200 sign up bonus after $500 in spend; in addition, the card will earn 5% cashback on Gas purchases in the first year, up to $6,000 in spend.
- No annual fee
- Card earns the following points rates:
- 5% on rotating Quarterly Categories on up to $1,500 in total purchases (e.g. Q4 2020 will be PayPal and Walmart)
- 5% on Travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% on Dining
- 3% on Drugstore
- 5% on Lyft through March 2022
- 1% unlimited cash back
- No annual fee
- Card earns 1.5% cash back on all purchases
Keep in mind while these cards talk about cash back you actually earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points. This means if you have an annual fee card such as Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Preferred then you can transfer these points to travel partners. You could also use these points for the Chase Pay Yourself back feature to make them worth 1.5¢ each.
As noted, the standard bonus on these cards is $200, and the 5% back on Gas is an additional bonus. Until recently there was a similar offer for 5x back on Grocery Stores (up to $12,000), but that has now been discontinued. We mentioned this Gas offer version floating around in the past, and it now looks to be the standard new offer on Chase and on referral links so I thought it worth a dedicated post. There’s also an alternate offer for the Freedom Unlimited card, specifically, to get an extra 1.5x per dollar spent anywhere during the first year, up to $20,000 in spend. Which offer you choose will depend on your spend patterns and on what other cards you have.