Published on May 2nd, 2018 | by Chuck135
Gift Card Conversion at Best Buy is No Longer Working
Many reports are coming in that gift card conversion in Best Buy stores is no longer allowed by the POS system.
It’s long been possible to buy third-party physical gift cards at a Best Buy store by paying with a Best Buy gift card. Best Buy carries gift cards for eBay, gas, Disney, restaurants, iTunes and many more. [It used to even be possible to convert Best Buy gift cards into Visa gift cards, but that stopped that a few years ago.]
As of TODAY, 5/2/18, it seems no longer possible to buy third-party gift cards with Best Buy gift cards.
Reader C.B. tells us of someone who was told yesterday by a Best Buy cashier that this change would go into effect today, and they found that to be the case today that the system blocked it. Reader MoreSun also reports the same, except that they note it’s still working for some third-party cards but not others.
Based on the data points, I’m confident there was a change, question is if it affects everything or only some. MoreSun suggests that maybe it only affects variable-load cards. My guess is the change affects everything, with the possible exception of iTunes, XBOX and other electronic-related gift cards which they likely get from a different supplier.
Anyway, we need more data points to clarify the extent, but it’s not looking good. Still need data points on whether conversion of BBYR certificates into third-party gift cards is dead too. And whether consolidating multiple Best Buy gift cards into one still works.
Buying third-party gift cards online has never worked since you’ll get a quick cancellation. However, they have updated that as well so that when you have gift cards in your cart the system does not allow a gift card to be used at checkout.
This especially hits hard the free $10 Cashstar promotions which offer expiring gift cards and we always had third-party gift card purchase as backup method.
- It’s no longer possible to buy variable-load gift cards in amounts above $200. This is hard-coded by the system, regardless of payment type.
- Some readers are still having success with conversion while others are being blocked even on fixed-value cards.
- XBOX conversion is still allowed online – likely in stores will work too. And some other electronic-related brands might be in the same category.
- I found the Best Buy gift card terms which do note that some third-party gift cards won’t work, so Best Buy does have some cover from a T&C perspective. That T&C terminology is an update from within the past year.
- On the Best Buy Forums, they’ve confirmed that they are limiting how Best Buy gift cards can be used for third-party gift cards.
- Seems like BBYR certificates may still be working to buy third-party gift cards.
- Bonus expiring cards can still be used to buy Best Buy gift cards in-store.