Published on June 17th, 2019 | by Chuck74
[Update] Numerous American Express Bonus Adjustments Posting Now for Referrals and More
[Update 6/17/19: Some more people are seeing an adjustment now for the $200 AT&T credit, mentioned below. It’s even showing up on some closed cards. (ht r/churning) Also, many people are getting an annual fee refund check which comes from some past Amex mistake, apparently.]
A few reports popped up in the past few days of American Express sending bonus adjustments to those who deserve it or owe it, even from many years ago.
- Numerous readers in the comments got an email today to expect an adjustment for referral bonus credit from a long time ago which never posted “due to a technical error”. The points aren’t showing yet, but hopefully it’ll come soon. Multiple Reddit members report the same.
- An r/churning member (I can’t find the link right now) was told by Amex that they can cancel their MB Platinum and get a prorated adjustment. This person wasn’t even a churner at the time, and knew nothing about clawbacks, and they cancelled without realizing they’d get a claw back. After claw back, they called in numerous times with no success. Now, the points just reappeared on their own.
- On a similar vein, many people who returned items for their $50 Saks credit, are now seeing reversals on that credit. This is even for credits from many months back, and even on a closed Amex card. (If your card is closed, be sure to pay off your debt to Amex – they should send you a bill in the mail – else it’ll end up dinging your credit report.)
- Over the past couple of weeks, many have noted getting the $200 AT&T Amex Offer credit from a few months back – it finally came through now.
- Other miscellaneous points adjustments and credits are reported by readers in the comments here. These are for things like miscoded stores, missing Amex Offers, and other missing promotional points.
A common thread in most of these cases are that these are cases which people followed up with Amex – in some cases multiple times – but never got credit. So it may be that they went back and reviewed all their contact records and issued points in cases where they suspected legal liability.
I’m guessing there was just a system update or a system review which resulted in numerous adjustments, but it’s also possible it’s just random. Let us know if in the comments if you’ve gotten any adjustments yourself, positive or negative.