Update 8/7/20: More people targeted, this time via e-mail. Subject line is ‘<name>, keep your travel dreams within reach.’ Hat tip to reader Edward.
Many people are getting a physical mailer offer for the American Express Hilton Surpass card:
- Signup for the American Express Hilton Surpass card (formerly Ascend) card and receive a bonus of 175,000 points after $4,000 in spend within the first three months.
- Annual fee of $95
- Card earns at the following rates:
- 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
- 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations (temporary bonus on this, currently, through year’s end for 12x total at supermarkets)
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
- 10 free priority pass lounge passes
- Complimentary Hilton Honors gold status. Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases within a calendar year
- One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
Standard offers we’ve seen in the past aren’t usually better than 150,000 points. This one does have a slightly higher spend requirement. Previous best offer was 150,000 points + $100 statement credit; a lot of people will prefer the extra 25,000 points to the $100 which makes this the best offer ever.
Last I checked, the referral offer for this card varies with some people are seeing 150k/$3k and some people are seeing 135k/$3k. If you can get a referral from a friend with 150,000 bonus, some might prefer that since the friend can get a bonus of up to 25,000 Membership Rewards points.
A lot of people aren’t traveling now and won’t find this interesting; worth noting, there are a few benefits Amex added to the card due to the situation. As always if you have any questions, read this post about American Express cards first.
Hat tip to readers Sonja and Mark