Deal has expired, view more Amazon deals by clicking here.
Update 7/14/19: Looks like the 20% off is coming off the pre-discounted price on some items. So you can get a fire TV stick for $6.99 for example.
Update 7/10/19: Seems like more people have now been targeted.
- 1 The Offer
- 2 The Fine Print
- 3 F.A.Q’s
- 4 Our Verdict
Direct link to offer (our affiliate link here & below)
Check the offer to see to see if you are targeted for the following deal:
- Get 20% off items shipped and sold by Amazon.com when you use Membership Rewards points from American Express to pay for some or all of the purchase.
- Be sure to activate the offer (here).
You can link your Membership Rewards with Amazon here. Redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon isn’t good value, so I’d recommend just using a single point to trigger this discount.
The Fine Print
- This is a limited offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 07/16/2019, or (b) the time at which offers worth $5,000,000 have been redeemed.
- The promotion code will expire concurrently. Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Do you need prime to do this deal?
No. I activated this on a non-Prime account.
Is this offer targeted?
Yes, this is a targeted deal, and is not working for everyone.
Why isn’t it working for me?
This is a targeted offer, but you can check these things:
- Make sure you’ve activated the offer first.
- Make sure your Membership Rewards account is linked to your Amazon account (here).
- Make sure you’re applying at least one Membership Rewards point at checkout.
- Try removing your Membership Rewards cards, then adding one back and linking it again for Shop with Points.
- Bonus option: You can try removing all credit cards on your Amazon account apart from one Membership Rewards card, that’s worked in the past, apparently, so maybe it’ll work for this.
Can you use this across multiple accounts?
It should work once on each account. Hard to know for certain that Amazon won’t have a problem with that, but done on a small scale I’d guess it’ll go fine, e.g. if you have one personal account and one business account.
Can I use the 20% discount across multiple transactions?
Yes, I just tried this out and it worked. I got the 20% discount on a small $20 purchase, then got it again on another small purchases moments later. (updated 7/1/19)
Can I pay with my Amazon gift card balance in conjunction with Shop with Points?
Yes. Check out the post How to Use an Amazon Gift Card with a Shop-with-Points Order for 3 methods:
- Gift card balance is less than the purchase amount.
- Apply a gift card and it ‘unlocks’ your gift card balance.
- Set the points card as your default payment method.
This deal they timed to end on July 16th, which is the end of Prime Day which runs the 15th and 16th. To max out the full $50 discount you need to spend $250. This deal is working on gift cards. It’s not working on Amazon’s own gift cards (not even for partial purchase). As in the past, the lead-up deals to Prime Day might be broader/better than Prime Day deals themselves.
Samples gift cards available on Amazon:
- Link to all physical gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
- Link to all electronic gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
- Whole Foods
- Giant Foods
- Stop and Shop
- Best Buy (physical)
Other interesting links:
- Amazon Gold Box Deals
- Amazon Prime Day
- Airpods (latest model) on sale for $179.99 instead of $199.99
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 38mm) for $199 (reg. $279)
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 42mm) for $229 (reg. $309)
- iPad 32 GB for $249
If anybody sees any other particularly good deals let us know and we’ll add it in. I’m sure there’ll be tons of good product deals over the course of Prime Day, though you do run some risk of the $5M limit being met before then. If anyone has a good way of estimating when the $5M will be met, chime in below.
You can read our full guide to saving money on Amazon here. Most portals only work on specific purchases, but still worth checking if your purchases do count or not (best rates here). Thanks to all who support the site. Also you can help us by giving this a retweet on Twitter.
- Amazon $30 off $60 when Using MR Points, Works on Gift Cards [Targeted]
- [YMMV] Amazon: Use One Chase Ultimate Rewards Points & Get $15 Off $60 [Works On Giftcards]
- [YMMV] Amazon: Use One Discover Point/Cashback & Get $10 Off $30 (Works On Giftcards)
Hat tip to readers Joe and myi-ddf