Published on November 18th, 2019 | by William Charles105
Complete Guide To Saving Money On Amazon (Save 8% – 27%+)
The majority of readers will spend a lot of money on Amazon. There are a lot of different ways to save money on Amazon purchases so I thought I’d create a post that lists all of the different ways to save on these purchases so readers can book mark this page and quickly reference it whenever making purchases from Amazon. Links marked with * contain our affiliate link and we receive a commission based on your purchases.
Credit Card/Gift Card
The first step is to decide whether to use a credit card or gift card. This option will depend on what promotions and credit cards you have available.
- Best credit cards to use for Amazon purchases
You might also be eligible for one of these offers:
- Amazon: $20/$40 Off $50/$100 When You Use 1 Membership Rewards Point [YMMV]
- Amazon: Use One Citi ThankYou Point & Get $15 Off $50, Works On Giftcards [YMMV]
There are three promotions that are always available, but you can only do them once. Plus other limited time bonuses:
- Reload your Amazon balance with at least $100 & get $10 bonus
- Purchase $50 in Amazon gift cards and receive a free $10 promotional credit on Amazon. Use promo code: 1119GCARDS at checkout*
- [YMMV] Amazon: Send $50 Giftcard Via Text & Get $5 Bonus
- Amazon Cash: Reload $20 & Get $5 [First Time Users]
- CardCash lets you sell other third party gift cards for Amazon gift cards. These rates are better than their cash rates, but make sure you compare to other third party gift card buyers.
Your best option with the first two of the above promotions is to still use a credit card that earns at a high rate on Amazon purchases. Lots of stores also sell Amazon gift cards and if you have a credit card that earns a category bonus for those stores then you could easily purchase Amazon gift cards there. For example if you had a Chase Ink Cash card you could buy them at Staples.com and earn 5% cash back. You can view all the credit cards that earn at least 4%/4x here.
Additional some stores will have discounts that might be useful for stocking up on Amazon gift cards:
- American Express regularly have AmEx offers that can be used to purchase Amazon gift cards, we will update this section when one of these promotions is available (currently one available here)
- A lot of grocery stores have fuel rewards programs and usually Amazon gift cards will trigger points for these programs. Sometimes they have increased offers for up to 4x points.
If you don’t have access to a credit card or debit card you can link your checking account to Amazon. They’ll also give you a 2% bonus, more details here.
Most shopping portals (e.g Topcashback) will offer 6% in specific categories. These categories change from time to time and the portal offering the best rates also changes from time to time. You can view the best rates here. Keep in mind Ibotta usually has some extra categories that other portals do not have. JetBlue used to offer 3 JetBlue points on all purchases, but that is unfortunately no longer the case.
If you’d like to support this site, you can also do so by using our Amazon link found here*. Just keep in mind you won’t earn any portal rewards if you do use our link.
Card Link Programs
Spent lets you link your debit & credit cards to their loyalty program. You earn 1% cash back on these purchases and Amazon is an option. Update: Spent removed Amazon as an option at the start of July 2018. Drop lets you link your debit & credit cards to their loyalty programs and choose five merchants to earn points on . Amazon is one of those options and you’ll earn 20 points per $1 spent (plus 2,000 for your first Amazon purchase). Points are worth 0.1¢ each when redeeming for gift cards meaning you effectively get 2% back.Update: Amazon is no longer an option for new Drop users.
It’s possible to get discount codes for Amazon that work on all purchases. In particular there are three worth keeping in mind:
- Change Your Address With USPS & Get A 10% Off Amazon Coupon ($20 Maximum Discount)
- Create Amazon Baby Registry – Get Free Welcome Box & Up To 15% Off Amazon
- Amazon Wedding Registry Completion Discount – Up To 20% Off On Up To $1,500
- [YMMV] Bank of America: Sign Up For A New Amazon Business Account & Get 20% Off ($100 Maximum Discount)
Amazon Prime Offers
You can usually get a discount on new Amazon Prime subscriptions. Here is what is currently available:If you’ve never had Prime or used a free trial, you can get free trial for 30 days.
- [YMMV] American Express: 3 Months Of Amazon Prime For Free
- Students can get six months for free* (requires .edu e-mail address)
- You can get a monthly membership for $12.99*
- EBT or Medicaid users can signup for a cheaper $5.99 monthly plan*.
- A yearly subscription costs $119. I’d recommend against using our link though as if you go through a shopping portal you can get cash back. Best rate is currently $15 through Topcashback
- Free Business Prime For American Express Amazon Business Cardholders (First 30 Days Only)
If you’re new to Prime then I recommend reading this guide to maximizing your Prime account. As a prime member you also get discounts at Whole Foods.
Amazon often has specific discounts that might be of interest to some readers, we will post the more popular ones here.
- List Of Amazon Black Friday Deals (Current & Upcoming – Updated)
- [Targeted] Amazon Prime: Try Prime Video & Get $10 Credit
- Amazon Prime Pantry: 15% Off When You Buy 15 Items
- Amazon Prime Cardholders: Up to 20% Cashback on Select Amazon Purchases
- [YMMV] Amazon Prime: Free 4×4 Metal Print
- [YMMV] Get a $15 Amazon when you Backup your Photos with Amazon Photos & More
- Amazon: Save up to 50% on Kindle Unlimited Subscriptions
- Amazon Offering Free Shipping (No Minimum) For The Holidays
- Amazon frequently sell $50 third party gift cards for $40. You can see what’s available by clicking here*.
- Chase/BofA/Others: Get 15% Back on Amazon Prime Now, Max $11 [Targeted]
- Audible: Two Free Books + $25 Amazon Credit, New AAA Members Only [FL, GA, TN, NE, ND, IA, WI, MI, PR, IN, IL, and MN]
- Amazon Music Unlimited 4 Months for $.99 [Prime Only, New Members Only]
- [YMMV] Amazon: 40-50% Off Subscribe & Save Pet Food Order, $50 Maximum Discount
Give To Charity For Free
AmazonSmile is Amazon’s charitable arm, by enrolling you can select a charity and they will receive 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases. Your shopping needs to start with smile.amazon.com to be eligible.
You can stack this with JetBlue according to this comment (JetBlue portal no longer works, but other portals should work on specific categories). This is also officially confirmed by Amazon here. Read more about Amazon Smile and how to stack it with a shopping portal in this post.
Prices on Amazon fluctuate constantly and it can be difficult to know if you’re getting a good price or not. I use camelcamelcamel to easily see the price history for specific items. You can also set up alerts if it’s a non urgent item.
Opening A New Account
There are several perks to opening a new account. This is discussed in detail here.
This is just for miscellaneous pieces of information.
- How to Use an Amazon Gift Card with a Shop-with-Points Order
- How To Use Amazon Dash Wand To Purchase Alexa Only Deals
- Amazon Launches ‘Amazon Day’ Shipping – Choose The Day Items Are Shipped [Prime & Invite Only]
- Prime Members can Order ‘Add-On Items’ with Free Shipping – No Minimum on Amazon Day
- How To Force Getting Targeted For American Express / Chase / Citi / Discover / Wells Fargo Amazon Promotions
Hopefully you learned a new way to save a bit of money on Amazon purchases. As I mentioned earlier, we do appreciate readers who use our Amazon links* but at the end of the day I like to think that our job is to save and make you as much money as possible so I think it’s important to point out that by using our links you are forgoing other options (e.g possibly 6% cash back). Did I miss any ways to save money on Amazon? As mentioned I’ll be keeping this up to date, so feel free to bookmark this page for later reference. Also I’ve marked links that are our Amazon link with a * throughout this post.