Published on February 17th, 2020 | by Chuck20
[YMMV] Bank Of The West $600 Branch Checking Bonus With $25,000 Deposit [AZ, CA, CO, ID, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY]
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $600
- Availability: AZ, CA, CO, ID, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, NV, NM, ND, OK, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY
- Direct deposit required: None
- Additional requirements: Deposit $25,000 and maintain for 3 months
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Yes (inquiry sensitive)
- Credit card funding: $500 max, Visa/MC only. Recent data points show it coding as a cash advance
- Monthly fees: $25, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: $25, 91 days
- Household limit: One per mailing address
- Expiration date: April 10, 2020
No direct link, branch/mailer offer (see Verdict)
- Bank of the West is offering a bonus of $600 when you open a new the Premier checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Open account with at least $.01.
- Deposit $25,000 into the checking account or in an eligible linked account by the end of the month in which the account is opened.
- Maintain $25,000 deposit for 3 full calendar months following the month of the deposit (e.g. if you deposit on February 20th, you need to maintain the deposit until June 1) in the checking account or in an eligible linked account.
The Fine Print
- Not available to customers with an open account on 2/2/20.
- Valid 2/3/20 – 4/10/20.
- Bonus will post by 9/30/20.
- Account must be open to receive bonus.
- Not valid if someone at your address has received a Bank of the West Bonus since 7/1/18.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them.
The any deposit checking account has a $25 monthly fee. This is waived with a $25,000 minimum balance combined in all your Bank of the West deposit accounts.
Early Account Termination Fee
There is an early account termination fee of $25 if your account is closed within 91 days of account opening.
This offer was sent out to some via mail, it’s not clear if it’s available to anyone at a branch or limited to those who received the mailer. Let us know if you try. (One reader tried and was told it’s targeted and the checked and saw they were not targeted.)
They have a $250 online bonus available now as well which does not require the large deposit. Assuming a 0% interest rate, you have to figure you’re losing $100-$150 by tying up the $25,000 for 3 months versus putting it in a high yield savings account. You also may have to leave the funds there until end of September when bonus posts, or else pay the $25 monthly fee.
You can, however, keep the money in a linked deposit account, like a CD or savings account. Looks like there is a 1.31% high yield money market account where you can part the funds and lose only a little bit versus other high-yield accounts. Need to verify if this is an ‘eligible linked account’.
Best plan is probably to open this in April, make $25,000 deposit at the end of April, leave funds in account for May, June, and July, and wait for the bonus to post, likely in September. It seems a bit complicated, so we might not add this one to our best bank bonus page.
Hat tip to reader N.S.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times