Deal has ended, view more bank account bonuses by clicking here.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+ within 60 calendar days
- Additional requirements: Make 10 debit card purchases
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems:Unknown, mixed dp if sensitive
- Credit card funding: Up to $1,500
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: Unknown
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date: December 31, 2022
- Chartway Federal Credit Union is offering a $200 checking account when you open a new checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Use promo code HOLIDAY22
- Receive direct deposits totaling $500 or more within 60 calendar days of account opening
- Maintain an average daily balance of $1,000 for the first 60 days of account opening
- Make ten debit card purchases of $10 or more within 60 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- Eligibility Requirements: Open a new Chartway Federal Credit Union consumer Cash Back checking by December 31, 2022. Accounts are subject to approval.
- This offer is for new checking members only.
- New members will be required to open a Prime Share account with a minimum opening deposit of $5.
- Offer is not available to those who have whose accounts have closed in the last 90 days or closed with a negative balance in the last 24 months.
- Bonus Requirements: Within 60 calendar days of account opening (the “qualification period”), receive a total of $500 or more in qualifying direct deposits to your new checking account, maintain an Average Daily Balance (ADB) of $1,000 for first 60 days of account opening, and make ten (10) Visa® debit purchases of $10 or more within 60 days of account opening.
- A qualifying direct deposit is an ACH (Automated Clearing House) automatic electronic deposit of your salary, pension, Social Security, or other regular income into your checking account. Confirm with your employer or the agency or company making these payments that they use the ACH network.
- Transfers from one account to another, mobile deposits, or deposits made at a branch, or ATM don’t qualify as a direct deposit.
- Bonus Payment: Once the 60-day qualification period has elapsed, Chartway will determine if you have met the offer requirements and will deposit any earned bonus into your new checking account within 30 days.
- The new checking account must remain open throughout the 60-day qualification period and at the time we attempt to deposit any earned bonus payment.
- Offer expires December 31, 2022.
- However, offer may be discontinued or changed at any time prior to the expiration date without notice.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Cash back checking account has no monthly fee to worry about.
Early Account Termination Fee
I wasn’t able to find an up to date fee schedule, so I’m not sure if an EATF is charged. In the past the fine print has stated the account needs to be kept open for 180 days, you might as well do that as the account has no monthly fee anyway.
Previously there was a $100 referral bonus but it didn’t require a direct deposit. This is a bigger bonus (assuming you weren’t getting the other side of the referral bonus). We will add this to our list of the best bank account bonuses.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times
12/17 account Opened
12/30 real DD 500$
02/13 10 Debit card purchases
60 days maintained 1000$ as well
No Bonus as of 04/18/23
Had to call 30min on the line to get the bonus.
12/29/2022: Account Opened
01/18/2023: Legit $500 DD posted
01/31/2023: 10th debit card transaction posted
04/11/2023: SM’d inquiring about the bonus
04/13/2023: Received the bonus
I received the $200 bonus today. No SM needed. Qualified on 1/29/23.
When was the account opened if you don’t mind sharing? I’m trying to be patient based on your DP but would love to move on from this one.
I’m in the same boat. Applied 12/15/2022. Did 2 DDs, 10x Amazon reloads. Didn’t receive $200 bonus, nor the cash back that some are mentioning below. Have been waiting, but might SM in a few days.
As far as the cashback goes, they really make you jump through hoops to get it. Did all 10 transactions post in the same month (along with the other two requirements: $500+ DD & enrolled in electronic statements) ?
You’re right, I realized the $500+ DD posted 31 Jan, while the Amazon reloads were on 1 Feb. Bummer. Anyway, I just messaged customer service on the app (using the Chat function), and they promptly credited by $200 bonus after 15 minutes. In case this is helpful for anyone!
Sorry for the late reply. I opened the account on 12/09/22.
12/06/2022: Applied for account
12/07/2022: Rep emails me asking for DL pictures. Sent in later that day.
12/08/2022: Accounts opened with $1,500 funding using Citi Premier, coded as purchase
12/13/2022: $2,600+ employer DD
01/20 – 02/05/2023: 10 debit card purchases of at least $10 (6 gas station, 4 Google Fi prepayments)
03/14/2023: Saw Lefty’s DP of sending a SM after still not receiving the bonus by 03/09/2023 (my expected date). Sent a SM at 12:15 PM CDT. Rep responded at 4:00 PM CDT saying bonus had been credited. Sure enough, $200 bonus was posted as “Deposit HOLIDAY22”.
If you have completed the requirements you may chat with customer service executive to confirm the eligibility and they will credit the bonus to the account. I did that just now and in 5 min the $200 bonus was posted to the account ( during the chat). Rare chat support experience 🙂
12/8/2022 Account Opened – $1500 Wells Fargo Active Cash Credit Card Coded Purchase (2% Rewards)
12/9/2022-2/5/2023 – Met All Requirements Within 60 Days
* $1,000 Average Daily Balance
* $500 Direct Deposit (Real DD)
* 10 Debit Card Purchases of $10 Or More
3/8/2022 Bonus Not Paid – Sent Secure Message in Online Banking
3/13/2022 $200 Bonus Paid (“Deposit HOLIDAY22”)
Hmm, I opened my account on the 8th, too. Thanks for the DP. Just sent in a SM for the bonus.
DP: Opened 12/13. Did Real DD on 12/30. Did the debit transactions. Stayed above $1000.
Contacted CSR via chat, was told by March 10th.
Chatted again on 3/10, was told they would look into it.
Chatted again this morning. Just received bonus only due to CSR’s investigation.
Still no bonus on my end, opened 12/5
I haven’t received it either but I opened 12/13
Tony Just checked my account and no bonus. Sent another secure message. Met all requirements with real DD. WTF is their problem?
Bonus posted today! Full DPs:
11/25 Applied online
11/29 Approved, account opened
12/1 CC funding posted, $1500 via BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards (purchase)
1/12 & 1/27 real DD’s $501
10x $10 Amazon reloads
Maintained minimum balance of $1k through 2/17
3/7 $200 “Deposit HOLIDAY22”
The Amazon reloads did trigger the 3% cashback for the account as well.
I had taken a break from new signups for a couple months prior so I was 0/90 when I applied.
I suspect you may have received the bonus due to messaging them rather than it posting correctly on its own.
FYI for those past due their bonus, I messaged them and got this response:
We understand the importance of receiving the promotional bonus deposit to your account. We sincerely apologize for the delay. However, do the the delay in shipping the cards, the promotion was extended to provide time for our members. With that said, members that qualify will start seeing the deposits by March 10th.
Katie P March 10th came and went and still no bonus for me.