Published on March 31st, 2019 | by William Charles36
Chase You Invest Bonus $200-$625 Bonus With $25,000-$250,000 Investment Account
- Chase is offering a bonus on their You Invest investment product. This product offers free trades to some customers in addition to other benefits. The current sign up bonus is tiered and varies based on how much you fund the account with:
- Fund $25,000-$99,999 and get a bonus of $200
- Fund $100,000-$249,999 and get a bonus of $300
- Fund $250,00+ and get a bonus of $625
- Account must be funded within 45 days and must be maintained for 90 days
The Fine Print
- Cash promotion is limited to one per customer and can only be applied to one new You Invest Trade account (Brokerage, Traditional IRA, or Roth IRA). To enroll in the up to $625 offer, you must open an account through this page.
- Customers must open and fund a new You Invest Trade account with new money of $25,000 or more in cash or securities from a non-Chase or non-J.P. Morgan account and cannot be funds or securities held by Chase or its affiliates. New money must be transferred within 45 days of account opening.
- At day 45, the bonus tier will be determined
- Cash bonus will be credited to the account within 10 business days of these requirements being met.
- You can participate in only one You Invest, Chase Private Client Checking, or Sapphire Checking new money bonus in a 12 month period.
- The new money balance must be maintained in the account for at least 90 days from the date of funding (losses due to trading or market fluctuation will not be taken into account).
Previously only the lowest tier bonus has been offered. Keep in mind you can do this bonus and still do a Chase checking & Savings bonus as well, but doing this bonus prevents you from doing the Chase Private Client or Sapphire Checking bonus. If considering this bonus you have several options:
- You can just fund the account with $25,000-$250,000 and leave the funds in there without investing them for 90 days. For most people this won’t be worth doing.
- A better option would to put the funds into a money market fund such as VMMXX or VUSXX. These have been yielding 2%+ returns and are considered very safe, but they don’t have FDIC insurance like a traditional high yield savings account.
- You can invest funds as you normally would.
- Reader Ben points out that the Sapphire Banking offer does not allow IRA funds to count to the funding amount while this You Invest offer does allow that. So if you don’t have non-IRA funds to move over and thus can’t get the Sapphire bonus, this You Invest bonus can really be cost free by simply transferring over IRA funds (I’ve never actually transferred an IRA, personally, but I assume it’s not difficult). Another reader points out that there are often fees for transferring an IRA, check with your original institution and with Chase to find out if there are fees to transfer in or out.
Interesting to see Chase add higher tier bonuses. We really need to create a dedicated page to these brokerage bonuses, but for now you can view other options here.
Hat tip to reader Bobby D