Published on January 29th, 2020 | by William Charles15
[FL, MA, NJ, NY, VT] Trustco Bank $100 Checking, $100 Savings & $100 CD Bonus (Personal & Business)
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $300
- Availability: FL, MA, NJ, NY, VT, must open in branch [Branch locator]
- Direct deposit required: Optional for all but the CD bonus
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- Chexsystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: Can’t be funded with a credit card
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: $26 if closed within three months + you forfeit bonus
- Household limit: None listed
- Expiration date: March 6th, 2020
- Trustco Bank is offering up to $300 in bonuses:
- $100 checking bonus when you open a new Home Town Personal or Business Checking Account and complete either a direct deposit OR make 5 debit card transactions within 45 days of account opening
- $100 savings bonus when you open a new Home Town Personal or Business Checking Account with a minimum balance of $5,000 for 45 days after account opening
- $100 CD bonus when you open a new Certificate of Deposit with $20,000 of new money and a checking account with direct deposit and make 5 debit card transactions
The Fine Print
- Promotional offer valid from 1/6/2020 until 3/6/2020.
- All bonuses will be paid within 60 calendar days of verification that the requirements have been satisfied for each offer.
- To receive the $100, you must open a Home Town Premier Checking, Home Town Free Checking, Student Checking or Business Checking Account with either Direct Deposit or 5 debit card transactions within 45 days of account opening.
- Direct Deposits must be the entire amount from a recurring Payroll, Social Security, and/or Pension (minimum of $100 monthly Direct Deposit). Direct Deposit or 5 debit card transactions must be completed within 45 calendar days from the date that the account was opened.
- To receive the $100, you must open a new Savings Account with a minimum of $5,000 (Club Accounts excluded).
- To receive the $100, you must open a Certificate of Deposit with $20,000 of new money, that is money currently not on deposit at Trustco Bank.
- See branch manager for current rates and terms. Fees may reduce earnings.
- A checking account with the above mentioned criteria must also be opened and maintained.
- Please note: We reserve the right to alter or withdraw these products or certain features without prior notification. A Certificate of Deposit may also be referred to as an Investment Certificate.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
They offer a free checking account with no monthly fees to worry about. The savings account and CD has no monthly fees to worry about
Early Account Termination Fee
If the account is closed within three months you have to pay a $26 fee, you also forfeit the bonus.
Previously they offered a $125 checking & $75 savings bonus. I think this new bonus is better as no direct deposit is required (unless you want to do the CD bonus). They have a 30 day CD which should qualify you for that bonus, but it only earns 0.05% and means you need to do a direct deposit as well. That being said I think all three bonuses are worth doing, in particular the checking & savings bonus. The CD bonus is a bit more line ball as you need to tie up $20,000 for 30 days and then do the direct deposit as well. I’ll be adding all three of these to our list of the best checking account bonuses.
Hat tip to reader Dean
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times