Published on October 19th, 2017 | by Chuck43
Now Public: California Residents can Get Southwest Companion Pass with Any Version Southwest Credit Card, Plus up to 60,000 Points Signup Bonus
Update: The fine print of the offer has some interesting language. See this post for a discussion about it.
California residents get a shortcut to the Southwest Companion Pass:
- Open a new Rapid Rewards business Premier Card, make a purchase, and receive a Companion Pass. You’ll also earn 60,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months of card opening.
- Open a new Rapid Rewards personal Plus Card, make a purchase, and receive a Companion Pass. You’ll also earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 in the first three months of card opening.
- Open a new Rapid Rewards personal Premier Card, make a purchase, and receive a Companion Pass. You’ll also earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 in the first three months of card opening.
Offers end November 30,2017.
- Annual fee of $69/$99 is not waived first year
- Anniversary bonus of 3,000 points or Plus card, 6,000 points on Premier cards
- Chase 5/24 rule applies to this card
- Promotional Companion Pass is valid from the time promotion qualifications are met, through December 31, 2018
Previously this Companion Pass deal was sent out as a targeted offer on the Plus card. Now, it’s available as a public offer to all California residents, also the offer is now available on all three versions of the card. Importantly, while the two personal versions come with a 40,000 bonus, the business version comes with the 60,000 bonus, a double-win.
There was recently a 60,000 offer on all three versions of the card available nationwide; only the 60k business offer is still available. California residents can now get the best bonus along with a free companion pass.
It’s important to note that this Companion Pass deal only works through 2018. If you’d go the regular route and earn the Pass with 110,000 in Southwest miles, you’d keep the Pass until the end of 2019 if you time yourself properly and have the miles post in January 2018. So this offer isn’t that incredible. Still a nice deal to get one year with one card signup, especially if you aren’t eligible for the personal cards due to the 24-month rule.
See this comment for an interesting way of maximizing this deal.
Hat tip to r/churning