Published on September 1st, 2018 | by William Charles16
SalemFive Checking Bonus: Free Netflix/Spotify Etc (Up To $14.95 Per Month For A Year)
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: Up to $14.95 per month
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Yes, cumulative deposits of $1,500 within 60 days of account opening
- Additional requirements: Use promo code ON US
- Hard/soft pull: Hard (all datapoints are quite old though). Recent datapoint says soft, new dp say hard as well
- ChexSystems: Unknown, sensitive
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $15, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household limit: None listed
- U.S. Citizen: Yes or permanent resident alien if opening online.
- Expiration date: None listed
- SalemFive has a new checking bonus. They are offering to to reimburse you for the cost of Netflix, Spotify, Birchbox, Harry’s, or Graze for a full year (up to $14.95 per month) when you meet the following requirements:
- Use promo code ON US
- Receive cumulative direct deposits of $1,500 or more within 60 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- This offer is only available to new personal Star and Gold Star Checking customers with cumulative direct deposit funds of $1,500 or more made within 60 days of account opening.
- Qualifying direct deposits are recurring electronic deposits of a paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from an employer or government.
- Person-to-Person and bank transfers between accounts or accounts at other financial institutions or brokerages do not qualify.
- Offer is not available to customers with an existing personal checking account at Salem Five Bank.
- Closed accounts that were opened at any time in the 12 months prior to account opening are considered existing accounts for the purpose of qualifying for this promotion.
- Customer must activate the Salem Five Visa® Debit Card associated with their new Star or Gold Star Checking Account and independently establish (or modify an existing) monthly subscription service with one of the five subscription services noted (Netflix, Spotify, Graze, Birchbox, and Harry’s).
- Customer must establish monthly recurring electronic billing (or modify if an existing subscription) through the subscription service and use their Salem Five Debit Card as the recurring form of payment.
- Once direct deposit criteria has been met, transaction review for the offer will be performed at the beginning of each month, using the prior month’s transactions, throughout the promotional period to identify qualifying accounts and establish reimbursement.
- Reimbursement will begin for the first month the offer criteria is met and a subscription service transaction is identified and, upon monthly transaction review, for eleven subsequent months.
- Monthly reimbursement will be made in the form of an account credit in the amount of the highest transaction value (up to $14.95) with any one of the five eligible subscription services noted.
- In the event that a customer has more than one of the five subscription services, Salem Five will review and reimburse the highest subscription amount, up to $14.95 in a calendar month.
- Promotional offer subject to end without notice. Subscription brands mentioned are not sponsors or participants in this promotion. S
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
This account has a $15 monthly fee. This is waived if you do any of the following:
- Monthly maintenance fee waived with payroll direct deposit
- $1,500 minimum daily balance
- Automatic transfer to a Salem Five Mortgage
- Combined deposit/loan balance of $5,000 (excluding mortgage loan balances)
Early Account Termination Fee
There is no early account termination fee according to the fee schedule
Previous bonus was a flat $150, personally I think that’s better as this bonus is an extra maximum of $30 but that assumes you have a subscription of $14.95 per month and your bonus is also split up over 12 months. In any case the bonus isn’t worth considering in the first place due to the hard pull they do. Because of that we won’t be adding this to the best checking bonuses.
Big thanks to reader, Bill who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times