This offer has expired, you can view more of the best checking bonuses by clicking here.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $300 for checking and $100 for savings
- Availability: CT, DC, DE, FL, MD, ME, MA, NC, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, SC, VT, & VA only.
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+ for $150 bonus or $2,500 for $300 bonus
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- Credit card funding: Up to $300
- Monthly fees: Up to $25, waive-able
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household Limit: None mentioned
- Expiration date: March 11th, 2017
- TD Bank is offering three different checking sign up bonuses of $50, $150 or $300 depending on the bonus, they are as follows:
- Open a TD Simple checking account or TD 60 Plus Checking account and make $500 in debit card purchases within 90 days and earn $50
- Open a TD Conveience checking account and receive direct deposits totaling $500 or more within 90 days and earn $150
- Open a TD Premier/Relationship checking account and receive direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more within 90 days and earn $300
- They are also offering a $100 bonus when you open a TD Select Savings account and maintain an average balance of at least $20,000 for the first 90 days.
The Fine Print
- The primary owner of the new personal checking and/or new TD Select Savings account must be a new customer to TD Bank who does not have any existing or prior relationship with TD Bank.
- The primary owner must also be the person who supplies a Social Security Number for tax reporting purposes.
- The new personal checking and/or new TD Select Savings account must be opened the same day between February 6th and March 11th and complete the required qualifying criteria.
- $300 bonus offer available to eligible new TD Bank customers when opening a TD Premier CheckingSM or TD Relationship CheckingSM account with cumulative direct deposit funds of $2,500 or more into the new account within 90 days of account opening.
- $150 bonus available to eligible new TD Bank customers when opening a TD Convenience CheckingSM account with cumulative direct deposit funds of $500 or more into the new account within 90 days of account opening.
- $50 bonus available to eligible new TD Bank customers when opening a TD Simple CheckingSM, TD Convenience CheckingSM, TD 60+ CheckingSM, TD Premier CheckingSM, or TD Relationship CheckingSM account and who completes $500 in Visa® Debit Card purchases within 90 days of account opening.
- $100 bonus available to eligible new TD Bank customers when opening a TD Select Savings account and, within one week from the date open, making at least $20,000 in new deposits (funds not currently on deposit with TD Bank, N.A.) and maintaining an average balance of at least $20,000 in the new savings account for the first 90 days after account opening.
- Qualifying direct deposits are recurring electronic deposits of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your Employer or the Government. Person-to-Person and bank transfers between your TD Bank accounts or accounts you have at other financial institutions or brokerages do not qualify.
- Qualifying Visa® Debit Card purchase transactions are those made using a TD Visa® Debit Card to buy goods and services and are net of returns and other adjustments. ATM withdrawals do not qualify. Net qualifying purchases are determined in the sole discretion of TD Bank and must post to the new account within 90 days of account opening.
- If the offer criterion is met within 90 days of account opening, the bonus will be credited into the new personal checking and/or new TD Select Savings account no later than 125 days from account opening.
- Checking and savings bonus payments will be deposited into corresponding account, and payments may not occur on the same day.
- Account must remain open, active, in good standing, and in the same product type through the qualifying period to receive the bonus.
- Bonus will be reported as taxable income to the IRS on 1099-MISC. Qualifying accounts must be opened online or in-Store. Accounts opened via phone do not qualify.
- Offer may be withdrawn at any time and is subject to change. One checking and one TD Select Savings bonus per Customer and cannot be combined with any other offer.
TD Convenience Checking $15 Monthly Fee
This is waived if you have a minimum daily balance of $100
TD Premier Checking $25 Monthly Fee
This is waived if you have a minimum daily balance of $2,500
Early Account Termination Fee
According to this comment no early account termination fee.
In their online fee schedule, there is no mention of an early account termination fee. Whereas on this help page they say there is an early account termination fee of $15 if you close the account within 90 days. That page does redirect to the Canadian site so that may be the difference. In any case, we’ll be cautious and say to keep the account for 90 days before closing.
I got excited when I first saw the up to $400 bonus as previously the best checking bonus has been $300, unfortunately $100 of that up to $400 is from the savings bonus. Let’s take a look at that first, you’re getting $100 for depositing $20,000 for 90 days, basically a 0.5% return over that time period (~2% APY). Lots of high interesting accounts offer a better return than that so I wouldn’t bother with that portion of the bonus.
Given that you can only get this bonus once per lifetime, it’s worth going for the $300 bonus as it’s not that much more difficult to trigger the bonus requirements or keep it fee free. $300 is also the largest bonus we’ve seen on this account (it was $150/$300 and then reduced to $100/$200). We will be adding this to our list of the best checking promotions.
Also if you run into the issue of them being unable to verify your identity, try using your passport instead of your drivers license. Also according to this you can open out of state via phone, but not possible to get the bonus (share any other dp you have below).
Big thanks to reader, Sarah N who let us know. Please consider sharing bank bonuses with this site so we can make it even better.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications