Deal has expired and is no longer being offered.
Update 1/1/2019: Reposting as it’s now confirmed to be a soft pull. Just keep in mind the ChexSystems sensitivity.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $300
- Availability: Must be of Christian faith or married to somebody who is
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $200+ per month
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems:Yes, they are sensitive
- Credit card funding: Unknown
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: $20, 90 days
- Household limit: None listed
- Expiration date: None listed
- Thrivent Federal Credit Union is offering bonuses of up to $300 for opening new accounts. Bonuses are broken down as follows:
- Open a new checking account & get $100:
- Use promo code CHECKING100
- Set up online banking and eStatements
- Establish a direct deposit of at least $200 each month
- Open a new money market account & Get $200:
- Use promo code MM200
- Deposit $5,000 within 30 days of account opening
- Must also have and maintain the requirements of a Thrivent Rewards Checking account
- Set up direct deposit into any share/share draft account or complete five bill pays and 10 point of sale purchases every month
- Open a new checking account & get $100:
The Fine Print
Money market bonus:
- This bonus is effective November 1, 2018. Earn a $200 bonus when you open a new Thrivent Rewards Money Market account and deposit $5,000 within 30 days of account opening.
- In order to open a Thrivent Rewards Money Market account you must have and maintain the requirements of a Thrivent Rewards Checking.
- The $200.00 bonus will be deposited into the Thrivent Rewards Money Market account 90 days after your account is opened if the required deposit is made.
- If the Money Market account is closed by the member or TFCU within six months after opening, we will deduct the bonus amount from that account balance at closing.
- Offer limited to one per member; you must be primary owner on the account.
- The $5,000 minimum deposit cannot be transferred from any existing TFCU account.
- This offer is subject to change and can end at any time without notice.
- Use promo code MM200 when applying
- Cash bonus is earned when you open a new Thrivent Rewards Checking account using promo code CHECKING100 before December 31, 2018 and establish the following within 60 day of account opening: sign up for free online banking, enroll in e-statements, establish $200 minimum direct deposit each month.
- The bonus will be deposited into the Thrivent Rewards Checking account 60 days after the account is opened if all requirements are met.
- Bonus may be reported to the IRS as dividends earned.
- Offer limited to one per member; you must be primary owner on the account and offer is subject to change without notice.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Neither account has any monthly fees to worry about
Early Account Termination Fee
$20 if closed within 90 days
I suspect most people won’t be eligible for this bonus for one of two reasons:
- Christian faith is required
- They are ChexSystems sensitive
If you are eligible then I do think these bonuses are worth doing The $5,000 money market requirement isn’t too difficult to meet and you can always do the bill pays if you don’t want to keep up long term direct deposits. I’ll add this to our list of the best bank bonuses. Keep in mind we’ve posted about the $100 checking bonus before, it’s really only the $200 money market bonus that is new.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times
The checking bonus is back until 12/31/19
1/11/2019 – $5k deposit
3/12/2019 – $200 bonus (MM)
Discover still works for checking DD.
Can we withdraw the $5,000 before we receive the bonus $?
See below comment from Jordan.
Anyone knows what an accepted DD is coded as? My deposits from E*TRADE were coded as “ACH TRNSFR”. I emailed customer service and was told “Direct deposits need to be payroll, social security, dividends from investments, etc. The ETrade deposits posting as ACH transfers do not qualify under the requirements.”
Don’t contact the bank
My payroll deposit coded as “direct dep.”
For what it might be worth, I called Thrivent today. They told me that the checking offer has expired, but the money market offer is still valid. However, to get the money market bonus, you still need to open a rewards checking account, which won’t have a bonus connected with it. They also told me there is no expiration date for the money market offer so it could be pulled at any time.
Data Point: P2 submitted an application. We received the adverse action notice today stating “excessive inquiries” on Chex. P2 doesn’t open many new accounts, but actually asked “Really?” P2 has maybe six Chex inquires in the last two years.
Any info on what they count as the account opening date for the 30 day clock to start on MM deposit? I am wondering if it is account creation (ie welcome email) or when opening deposit credits.
I applied and got the message: “Thank you for submitting an account application with Thrivent Federal Credit Union. Our team is in the process of reviewing your application and will be in touch within 24 hours of completing our review (Monday – Friday) with next steps.”
So is this active still, or not? I see others applying today (1/1/19) but I also see notes that this is expired. The direct link to the offer still works though.
The fine print says that the Thrivent Rewards Checking account must be opened before December 31, 2018. I sent a message asking if the date will be being extended. The direct link works, but then in the fine print one sees the expiry date for the Cking account.