Update 4 (7/5/18): No longer working on Amazon gift cards, but it’s still working on all third party gift cards (even the terms now allow that). And it’s now working a second time for those who already used it once. Of course, it’s also still working for those who never used it before.
Reposting 7/5/18 just in case anybody missed it over 4th of July.
Update 2: All gift card orders are still processing currently so it’s possible they won’t actually work at all. Up to you if you want to risk waiting for positive/negative data points, if you want to go for it now or if you just want to use it on regular purchases. Looks like regular items are processing so that isn’t a good sign. Removed mention of gift cards from title until we get some positive DP it’s working and orders are being processed.
Update: this deal works when you buy $400 in Amazon gift cards (don’t forget the free socks)+ $100 of other stuff or gift cards. This is about as good as it gets. Just keep in mind the terms do say “Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards or third-party gift cards. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.” Not sure if they plan to do that after the fact or if gift cards just aren’t supposed to be working in the first place. It also looks like the promotion isn’t working for those without prime, but it does work after signing up for a free 30 day trial of prime. This will also give you a free trial over the Prime day period (lots of promotions, worth having IMO), especially those without Prime. If you’ve already use the trial you can also sign up for a month for $12.99. Some accounts are also getting it without Prime, so try that first.
Direct link to offer (our affiliate link here & below)
- Get 20% off when you use Membership Rewards points from American Express. Redeeming Membership Rewards points on Amazon isn’t good value, so I’d recommend just using a single point to trigger this discount.
The Fine Print
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $100.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with a Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated.
- Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
- This promotion starts at 12:00 am PST on July 2nd, 2018 and ends when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards or third-party gift cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Can this be used more than once?
Update 2: Looks like it isn’t possible for some. Update: Looks to be possible. Isn’t clear at this stage, the maximum discount is $100 but not sure if you need to make $500 in a single purchase or if it can be over multiple purchases. You could always add some gift cards to your cart to hit $500 though to make sure.
Do you need prime to do this deal?
Some are reporting being eligible even without a Prime subscription. That being said it seems to be more common to get the deal if you’re a prime member and additionally people are reporting that after becoming Prime members the offer showed for them when it previously didn’t. If you’ve never had a Prime membership before, you can get a free 30 day trial (also working to get the offer to show). You can also get a monthly membership for $12.99 or a yearly membership for $119.
Can you use this across multiple accounts?
I assume that as long as they are under different names it’s OK. There’s one DP of an order being cancelled for multiples.
To max out the full $100 discount you need to spend $500. This deal is working on gift cards. Confirmed as working:
- Whole Foods
- Link to all physical gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
- Link to all electronic gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
If anybody sees any other particularly good deals let me know and I’ll list them below:
- Echo show for $129.99 ($100 off list price), ~$104 after this discount
- SNES classic $63.99 after discount
- Nintento Switch: $239.2 after discount
Looks like this will be eligible over Prime day, but might make sense not to wait that long as it can end at any time. Personally I’ll be buying $500 in gift cards now rather than risking it but YMMV on what you want to do.
Remember to try to stack with this other Amazon deals if possible:
- Confirmed as stacking with 15% baby registry discount
- [YMMV & Prime Only] Amazon: Get $5 Off $25+ With Amazon Assistant
- [Targeted] AmEx Offer: Amazon, Spend $50+ & Receive $20 Statement Credit/2,000 Membership Rewards
- [YMMV] Amazon: Change Your 1-Click Settings To Discover & Get $10 Credit
- Amazon: $10 Off $20 for Signing into the Amazon App [New Prime Users Only]
- Save up to $20 on Whole Foods or Amazon Prime Now Online Order
You can read our full guide to saving money on Amazon here. Keep in mind most portals only work on specific purchases, but still worth checking if your purchases do count or not (best rates here). If they don’t then consider using our links instead it’s very much appreciated when you do. Also you can greatly help us by giving this a retweet on Twitter. Thanks to everybody who helps support the site <3.