Published on August 1st, 2018 | by William Charles26
American Express Personal SPG Card: 75,000 Point Bonus (Marriott Points)
- American Express is offering a sign up bonus of 75,000 points on the SPG personal card after $3,000 in spend within 3 months
- Anniversary free night award up to 35,000 points (this is a free night certificated that can be used on properties costing up to 35,000 points)
- $95 annual fee (waived first year)
- Card earns at the following rates:
- Six Marriott rewards points per dollar spent at participating hotels
- Two points per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Free unlimited Boingo Wifi
- Coming in 2019: Receive 15 nights towards elite status
- Silver status and earn gold status by making $30,000 in purchases within a calendar year (increases to $35,000 in 2019)
- Premium in room internet access at participating properties.
- Can only get the bonus once per lifetime
These are Marriott points, so really 25,000 SPG points under the old program. That’s the standard bonus we’ve seen on this card with occasional increases to up to 35,000 points. I suspect we will see something similar with this renewed card but rather than a total of 105,000 I suspect they will just make it up to 100,000 points occasionally (this is what is currently being offered on the business card). The SPG/Marriott programs will become unified on August 18th, when that happens getting this card will also make you ineligible for other Chase Marriott cards. This is explained in more detail here. The restrictions aren’t too bad on the personal card though and I suspect American Express will be forced to discontinue this card at some stage.