Published on July 24th, 2017 | by William Charles83
[Expired] BBVA Compass $200 In Branch Checking Bonus [California & Colorado Only]
This bonus has expired and is no longer available. You can click here to view the best checking bonuses.
Reposting as also available in Colorado.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: California & Colorado branches only, although it does say you can open by phone as well.
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $300+
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Mixed reports (seems recent DP are all soft, but YMMV)
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: $300, no AmEx allowed (no credit card funding in branch)
- Monthly fees: $4, waivable
- Early account termination fee: Bonus forfeit, one year
- Household limit: One
- Expiration date:
July 31st, 2017August 4th, 2017
- BBVA Compass is offering a bonus of $200 when you open a new checking account at any California branch and receive a qualifying direct deposit of at least $300 within 60 days of account opening. $25 opening deposit required and credit card funding isn’t allowed in branch.
The Fine Print
- You must be a new BBVA Compass consumer checking customer who has not had a BBVA Compass consumer checking account open within the last 90 days or closed due to negative balance to be eligible for the bonus.
- Eligible accounts include BBVA Compass ClearChoice Interest Checking, BBVA Compass ClearChoice Free Checking, and Easy Checking.
- Within sixty (60) days of account opening, at least one electronic direct deposit from an unrelated 3rd party (e.g. your employer or a government agency) in the amount of at least $300 must post to the new checking account.
- The account must be opened at one of the participating branches above or via 1-800-Compass, Option 2, with the account housed at a participating branch.
- We reserve the right to deduct the bonus amount if the account is closed within 12 months of opening.
- The $200 cash bonus will be deposited into the new checking account within 60 days of meeting the bonus requirements described above.
- There is a maximum of one (1) bonus per household.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Easiest account to keep fee free is the BBVA Compass ClearChoice Free Checking account as this has no monthly fee to worry about.
Early Account Termination Fee
Account needs to be kept open for 12 months otherwise they reserve the right to deduct the bonus.
Shame there is mixed datapoints about it being a hard/soft pull as otherwise this is a good bonus. Yes you need to keep the account open for a year, but at least there are no monthly fees to worry about. Because of the reports of it being a hard pull I can’t add it to the best checking promos as if it were a hard pull you’d be better off going with a credit card cash sign up bonuses (remember you pay taxes on bank account bonuses but not on credit card bonuses).
Big thanks to reader, Dore D who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications