Back to $120 on Swagbucks via this link. Hat tip to ShawntheShawn Seems to go back down to $50 after clicking through the link.
Update 5/6/22: Swagbucks is now down to $50 and MyPoints is about the same. So it should be $50 + $50 now.
Update 11/2/21: Looks like you can stack the Swagbucks/MyPoints bonus with the $50 current bonus making it a total of $170. Hat tip to ShawntheShawn
Update 7/2/21: Has been increased to 12000 SB / 20000 MP. Hat tip to ShawntheShawn.
Update 3/13/21: Swagbucks bonus is down to 10,000 points. My Points is 17,000.
Update 2/23/21: Now $130 on Swagbucks. Hat tip to reader Davis
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $130 in Swagbucks
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $200+
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: No
- Credit card funding: Unknown
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: Unknown
- Household limit: None listed
- Expiration date: None listed
Direct link to offer | Direct link to MyPoints
- Current is offering a bonus of 13,000 Swagbucks when you open a new personal checking account and connect a payroll direct deposit of $200 or more within 30 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- Offer may only be redeemed once per user
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
There is no monthly fee anymore
Early Account Termination Fee
I wasn’t able to find a fee schedule so I’m unsure if there is an early account termination fee.
Normally we don’t post checking bonuses unless they are at least $100, but this is nationwide. I suspect we will be seeing a lot of these nextgen banking apps/cards offering bonuses like this in the future. Personally I’d recommend waiting for a larger bonus from current as I don’t think this will be the best bonus ever offered by them. Because of that I won’t be adding this to the list of the best checking account bonuses.
Hat tip to reader Les-el
- Update 10/21/10: Terms now state you have to open the Premium checking account that has a $4.95 monthly fee.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times
- Update 1/14/21: Back again. Hat tip to Yaro
- Update 11/10/20: Bonus has been increased to 10,000 Swagbucks or 17,000 MyPoints. Hat tip to reader Davis.
Just a heads up for rideshare drivers. While Current considered a Lyft direct deposit as qualifying, they did not consider my referee’s Uber direct deposit qualifying. So if you’re an Uber driver don’t bother trying to get the $50 referral. Company should be investigated because they’re violating their own ToS.
Just came back to see if they’re bankrupt yet, they’re only paying 4% still now that everyone is paying 4%+ and treasuries are at 5%+
DP: Amazon payment doesn’t count as DD. Per support:
“It looks like you’re receiving a deposit that our system is not classifying as a qualifying direct deposit.”
03/06 $200+ DD from Amazon seller account. Received “You just got paid faster” email from Current and 5000 SB went pending right away (will pend for 32 days). Referral bonus hasn’t posted yet, but I’ll follow up when it does. 🙂
My ref is [removed]
Referrals are not allowed. William Charles Chuck
Okay Karen 🙄
Throwing my referral in the hat in case someone wants to use it! TIA:
I opened the account to get 4% 6 months ago (without bonus). Now only 0.25%. I was not aware about the DD requirement. I lost money since I saw that 3 weeks later. I try to close but they force me to withdraw some cents and to wait again 3 days once the 3 cents are sent. Lazy inefficient customer service too. I don’t recommend them.
Note: Current/Choice are NOT sending out 1099-INTs for tax year 2022. I don’t know if they did it in previous years, but this year they’re only mailing out 1099-NECS for > $600 in interest/bonuses. They will not give you a digital 1099-INT if you ask support, nor will they confirm if they are even sending the interest amounts to the IRS. Beware…
To reiterate Daniel’s post below, it appears the 5000 SB will stack with the $50 referral bonus as you can click through SB to open the account then manually enter a referral code in the app. Used Daniel’s code below, would be very grateful if the next person to peruse this thread uses mine:
Swagbucks has differing info on their site now. One place says “Install, open the app, create a Current Account, & deposit $25 or more to earn 5,000 SB” while another still requires a $200 DD.
I used Nick’s code. Here’s mine for the train: [removed]
I personally would do BOTH the $25 and the Direct Deposit to be sure you get the bonus. Current also changed their algorithm as only REAL PAYROLL deposits count as Direct Deposit. If you do any other it will NOT trigger the bonus or move you up to the 4% Interest tier.
Used Nick’s, hope someone uses mine [removed]
Offer is still going on Swagbucks for 50. I noticed that if you’ve already done the offer it will not show on your account if you are signed in. You can also load a Current Code still too and do a real DD of $200 or more for an extra $50.
Hey , thanks for keeping this thread going, used your code. Enjoy the $50 in about a month or two hopefully.
You’re welcome! Thank you too!
Seems dead? Don’t see on either Swagbucks or MyPoints William Charles