Published on December 6th, 2018 | by William Charles35
[Expired] Green Dot Bank $100 Checking Bonus + 5% Back On Purchases (Up To $250 Cashback) – Nationwide (Excludes VT)
Looks like the $100 bonus is no longer being offered.
[Offer has been extended through January 2019.]
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $100
- Availability: Nationwide excluding Vermont
- Direct deposit required: No
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Unknown
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: Unknown
- Monthly fees: $9.95
- Early account termination fee: None listed
- Household limit: None listed
- Expiration date: Must make a debit card purchase by 1/31/2019
- Green Dot bank is offering a bonus of $100 when you open a new account and complete the following requirements:
Make a purchase with your Green Dot debit card by 12/31/2018
- Use the Green Dot debit card at least once every month in each month of 2019
- Card also earns 5% back on purchases, up to $250 annually
The Fine Print
- Prepaid cards are not available to Vermont residents.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
This account has a $9.95 monthly fee that cannot be waived
Early Account Termination Fee
I see no mention of an early account termination fee here. But it looks like your account needs to be kept open for at least 12 months to be eligible to redeem the cash back
The $100 bonus is more than wiped out by the $9.95 monthly fee that cannot be waived. The real deal is the 5% back with a limit of $250 cash back (spend $5,000 to hit that) seems like a great deal if this is a soft pull. Keep in mind Green Dot is known for shutting down manufactured spending people, so I’d only want to put organic spend on this card.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times