Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $400
- Availability: NC, SC, TN, VA
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $2,500+ within 90 days
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: Yes, not sensitive
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: None
- Early account termination fee: Bonus forfeit, 180 days
- Household limit: Two per household
- Expiration date: December 31, 2021.
- HomeTrust Bank is offering a bonus of $400 when you open a new checking account with the promo code UPTO400. Bonus is broken down as follows:
- Get $150 for qualified direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more in the first 90 days.
- Get $150 for an opening balance of $10,000 or greater and maintaining that balance for the first 90 days.
- Get $100 when you make at least 15 debit card purchases totaling $500 or more in one statement cycle in the first 90 days.
The Fine Print
- Direct Deposit bonus: Earn $150 for direct deposits totaling $2,500 or more across two consecutive statement cycles within the first three statement cycles from account opening.
- Your direct deposit needs to be regular monthly income, such as an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension, or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government. Transfers from one account to another or deposits made at a banking location or ATM do not qualify as Direct Deposit.
- $10K+ Account Balance bonus: Earn $150 when you deposit and maintain a $10,000 minimum daily balance in your new account for the first 90 days.
- Debit Card Activity bonus: Earn $100 when you make at least 15 debit card purchases equal to, or greater than, $500 in one statement cycle within the first three statement cycles.
- All transactions must post and settle to qualify. Bonuses will be credited to your account on the 15th of the month after each specific bonus requirement has been met. Bonuses may be credited at different times depending on account activity but will be credited no later than 120 days from account opening.
- Offer cannot be combined with other offers and is limited to two (2) incentives per household. Customer must have a physical address within the HomeTrust Bank market footprint. Offer not available to households that have had a personal checking account at HomeTrust Bank within the last five years. If your account is closed within the first 180 days, an account closing fee equal to the bonus payment (between $100 and $400) you received will apply. HomeTrust Bank employees are not eligible to participate in promotion.Offer may be withdrawn at any time. Payments are subject to IRS tax reporting requirements. For fees applicable to your account, please view our Fee Schedule. For additional terms and conditions, please view our Deposit Account Agreement and Online or Mobile terms and conditions.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Simple checking has no monthly fees to worry about. There is a $4/month inactivity fee that “Applies to checking accounts with balances less than $100, after three months with no activity”
Early Account Termination Fee
Bonus forfeit if closed within 180 days of account opening
Previously they had a $100 bonus with no direct deposit and a $200 bonus with a direct deposit. This bonus is much bigger, but $150 of it is really a savings bonus with the $10,000 deposit requirement. In any case it is worth doing and we will add it to the best bank bonus page.
Hat tip to reader Ben
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times