Published on October 29th, 2018 | by William Charles59
[Targeted] Citi Checking Bonus Up To $700
Update 10/29/18: Deal is back and valid until December 31st, 2018. Hat tip to readers Craig P & Richard D
Update: Bonus is back and valid until June 30th, 2018. Hat tip to reader Tyler
Update 02/28/18: Bonus is back and valid until March 31st, 2018. Hat tip to reader @JjTheKnoxRA
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $700
- Availability: Nationwide but targeted
- Direct deposit required: No
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $30, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date:
December 31st, 2017 March 31st, 2018June 30th, 2018
No direct link, targeted offer
- Citi has sent out an offer for up to $700 when you open a new new regular checking account. The bonus you receive depends on what account package you open:
- $700 bonus. Open a Citigold Account Package and make $1,000 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $500 bonus. Open a Citi Priority Account Package and make $750 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $300 bonus. Open a Citibank Account Package and make $375 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $50 bonus. Open a Citi Priority Account Package and make $125 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
The Fine Print
- Valid until June 30th, 2018
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Citigold Account Package ($700 Bonus)
This account has no monthly fee but you need an average monthly balance of $200,000 to be eligible.
Citi Priority Account Package $30 Monthly Fee ($500 bonus)
- The Citi Account Package has a monthly fee of $30, this is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 or more in eligible linked deposits, retirement and investment balances. There is no early account termination fee for this account.
Citi Account Package $25 Monthly Fee ($300 Bonus)
- The Citibank Account Package needs $10,000 in combined average monthly balances to remain fee free. Otherwise, there is a $25 monthly fee.
Early Termination Fee
In the past, Citi has not charged any ETF, and none is mentioned for this offer.
Citi is currently offering $400/$600 bonuses that are much better than this deal. The $700 bonus isn’t worth considering due to the $200,000 deposit requirement, you’d be better off putting that money into a high interest account or investing it in the market depending on your risk tolerance. Keep in mind the Citigold & Priority account packages also reduce the annual fee on the Prestige by $100. Because this deal is targeted and there are better bonuses available I won’t be adding this to the best bonus list.
Hat tip to Travelinpoints
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times