Published on May 9th, 2019 | by William Charles85
[In Branch] Citi Checking Bonus Up To $700
Update 5/9/19: Deal is back and valid until June 30th, 2019. Hat tip to G007
Update 2/24/19: Deal is back available in branch, new expiry on March 31st, 2019. You’ll need to ask about the offer to be able to get it though. Hat tip to reader Gotham
Update 10/29/18: Deal is back and valid until December 31st, 2018. Hat tip to readers Craig P & Richard D
Update: Bonus is back and valid until June 30th, 2018. Hat tip to reader Tyler
Update 02/28/18: Bonus is back and valid until March 31st, 2018. Hat tip to reader @JjTheKnoxRA
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $700
- Availability: Nationwide but targeted
- Direct deposit required: No
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $30, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date:
December 31st, 2017 March 31st, 2018June 30th, 2019
No direct link, targeted offer
- Citi has sent out an offer for up to $700 when you open a new new regular checking account. The bonus you receive depends on what account package you open:
- $700 bonus. Open a Citigold Account Package and make $1,000 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $500 bonus. Open a Citi Priority Account Package and make $750 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $300 bonus. Open a Citibank Account Package and make $375 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
- $50 bonus. Open a Citi Priority Account Package and make $125 in debit card purchases and pay one or more bills for two consecutive months
The Fine Print
- Valid until June 30th, 2018
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Citigold Account Package ($700 Bonus)
This account has no monthly fee but you need an average monthly balance of $200,000 to be eligible.
Citi Priority Account Package $30 Monthly Fee ($500 bonus)
- The Citi Account Package has a monthly fee of $30, this is waived if you maintain a combined average monthly balance of $50,000 or more in eligible linked deposits, retirement and investment balances. There is no early account termination fee for this account.
Citi Account Package $25 Monthly Fee ($300 Bonus)
- The Citibank Account Package needs $10,000 in combined average monthly balances to remain fee free. Otherwise, there is a $25 monthly fee.
Early Termination Fee
In the past, Citi has not charged any ETF, and none is mentioned for this offer.
Citi is currently offering $400/$600 bonuses that are much better than this deal. The $700 bonus isn’t worth considering due to the $200,000 deposit requirement, you’d be better off putting that money into a high interest account or investing it in the market depending on your risk tolerance. Keep in mind the Citigold & Priority account packages also reduce the annual fee on the Prestige by $100. Because this deal is targeted and there are better bonuses available I won’t be adding this to the best bonus list.
Hat tip to Travelinpoints
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times