Published on April 15th, 2018 | by William Charles140
[CT, DE, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT] Citizens Bank $400 Checking Bonus
There is also a $200 bonus currently available as well. More information here.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $400
- Availability: CT, DE, MA, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VT
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $1,000+
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull as long as you opt out of over draft protecton.
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: Up to $1,000, Visa & MasterCard only
- Monthly fees: $25, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: None listed
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date:
June 30th, 2018July 31st, 2018
- Citizens Bank is offering a bonus of $400 when you open a new Platinum checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Receive a direct deposit of $1,000+ within 60 days of account opening.
The Fine Print
- To qualify for the $400 bonus you must open your first new Platinum checking account between 3/30/2018 and 6/30/2018 and have at least 1 single direct deposit of $1,000 or more post to your new checking account within 60 days of account opening.
- Direct Deposit is recurring income electronically deposited into your Citizens Bank checking account and may include salary, pension, Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and other regular monthly income.
- Primary signer on the new checking account may not be or have been a primary or secondary signer on any Citizens Bank personal checking account within the previous six months.
- The new account must be open and in good standing to qualify for this offer.
- Offer may be withdrawn without notice and cannot be combined with any other checking offer.
- In order to be eligible to participate in this promotion, the customer must open their first new personal checking account via Citizens Bank’s online account opening system accessed by clicking on the link on this page.
- Customer should print this screen for their records.
- Customer may only be paid a bonus associated with this program one time.
- If you meet all of the above requirements and open a Citizens Bank Platinum Checking® account you will receive a $400 bonus.
- Bonus will post to the checking account within 90 days after direct deposit has posted and will be labeled as “Balance Builder Bonus.”
- Bonus will be reported to the IRS for income tax purposes.
Citizens Bank Platinum Checking Account $25 Monthly Fee
- Citizens Bank Platinum Checking: $25 fee is waived with $25,000 in combined deposits
Early Account Termination Fee – None
Keeping the account fee free is difficult, with a $25,000 deposit required. You’re better off just paying the monthly fee than putting the $25,000 in the account when you compare the lost interest you’d receive if you put that $25,000 into a 2% APY+ account (you’re losing out on about $1.35 per day). If you received an eligible direct deposit on the first day of account opening, you’d still need to wait around three months to receive the bonus. Best case scenario you’ll need the account open for four months, but most financial institutions usually waived the monthly fee for the first two months. Not sure this is the case here or not.
They do have a $150 bonus that is easier to keep fee free, but I think this $400 bonus is better. Even if you end up paying 6 months of fees you’ll end up with a $250 bonus vs $150 and you shouldn’t need to pay that much in monthly fees anyway. Because of that I am adding this to our list of the best checking bonuses.
Big thanks to reader, SirEel who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times