Published on April 10th, 2017 | by William Charles332
[Expired] Fifth Third $200 Checking Bonus [FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, NC, OH, TN, WV]
This offer has now expired and is no longer valid. You can view the best bank promotions here.
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: Only in the following states: FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MO, NC, OH, TN, WV (may be only for those within a 50-mile radius of a branch).
- Direct deposit required: Yes, no minimum mentioned; in the past, it’s needed to be $100 minimum. Click here to see what’s been working for the direct deposit requirement.
- Additional requirements: Three bill-payments
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $11-$25, waivable
- Early account termination fee: None listed
- Expiration Date:
April 9th, 2016 July 23rd, 2016 September 30th, 2016 December 31st, 2016 March 31st, 2017 June 30th, 2017July 31st, 2017
- Receive a sign up bonus of $200 when you open an essentials checking account with Fifth Third bank when you complete the following requirements:
- Pay three bills using Fifth Third’s online bill payment service
- Direct deposit into the account (no minimum specified, has been $100 in the past)
The Fine Print
- Offer not available to existing checking customers or to those with a Fifth Third checking account that has been closed within the last 12 months
- Bonus offer not available to new Fifth Third Checking customers in St. Louis and Western Pennsylvania
- Bonus offer available to new consumer checking customers, excluding Basic Checking and Express Banking
- Bank reserves the right to limit each customer to one new account-related gift incentive per calendar year
- ssential Checking account must be opened between 6/29/17 and 7/31/17
- All requirements must be met and qualifying activity must be initiated and post to the account within 90 days of account opening to obtain $200 bonus
- Bonus will be deposited into your new checking account within 10 business days of completing requirements
- All bank bonuses are treated as interest and you’re required to pay interest on them
The easiest option for most is to choose the Essential Checking account which has an $11 monthly fee. The fee can be waived by maintaining an average monthly balance of $1,500 or more across your savings and checking accounts.
The fine print indicates that the Military Banking and Student Banking accounts should also work for this bonus.
- If you are in the military, choose the Military Banking option and you’ll have an additional option for getting the monthly fee waived by receiving $500 in direct deposits each month.
- If you are a high school or college student age 16+, choose the Student Banking option for no monthly fee at all.
This offer is almost always available (seems to disappear for a few days/weeks after it expires and then comes back). It’s great that you can open the account online and the bonus requirements are fairly easy to meet. Here’s what I’d do if I lived in the targeted area:
- Open an essential checking account
- Add $1,600 via a direct deposit method that has qualified in the past (this will keep the account fee free and also trigger the bonus requirement for direct deposit)
- Pay three bills (total needs to be under $100 to keep the account fee free, or just add more funds initially and pay bigger bills)
- Wait for the bonus to post
- Withdraw funds and close account
Because this bonus is fairly easy to meet and we have lots of data points, I’ll be adding it to our list of the best checking bonuses.
Big thanks to reader, Vijay who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications