Published on November 8th, 2019 | by Chuck42
Amazon: Use One Citi ThankYou Point & Get $15 Off $50, Works On Giftcards [YMMV]
Update 11/8/19: Looks like more people have been targeted, same link as before.
there might also be a new link but I’m not 100% sure what that new link is. If anybody has it please share below. Was just sent our via e-mail and specifically mentions the Citi Double Cash, though it’s working with some other cards as well.
Update 10/30/19: Working for more people now.
Update 8/2/19: Some people are showing ‘ineligible’ but also showing the button to enroll, and it works.
There’s a brand new Amazon deal working for some people:
- Get $15 off $50 when you use at least one Citi ThankYou point. Must first activate the offer here.
Here’s how to go about doing this deal:
- (Link your Citi ThankYou account to your Amazon account if you haven’t already; note, you often have to wait 24 hours after registering your card until you can activate the offer)
- Add $50 or more of eligible products shipped and sold by Amazon to your shopping cart
- Proceed to checkout & select your Citi ThankYou card as your payment method
- Select the amount of ThankYou Points you’d like to use for the purchase (we recommend using just 1 point)
- $15 discount will automatically be applied at checkout
Here’s an example of what a $50 Whole Foods gift card looks like at checkout on my account:
The Fine Print
- This promotion starts at 12:00am PST on August 1, 2019 and ends on the earlier of (i) at 11:59pm PST on 12/31/2019, or (ii) when 31,096 offers have been redeemed, or (iii) when Amazon elects to end the promotion.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of items made with an eligible Citi Card, where ThankYou Points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is activated. When you click on the ‘Click to activate’ button your Citi ThankYou Points will be temporarily set as default payment method at checkout for a duration of six hours, unless you manually update your payment option. The promotion remains valid even after the temporary default setting lapses, until the end of the promotion period.
- Offer does not apply to digital content.
- Products must be purchased in a single order with the same method of shipment to a single address. Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted promotional items.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $15.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order. If any of the items in your order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than $15.00.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
Do you need prime to do this deal?
Not sure, probably not.
Why isn’t it working for me?
This offer is quite possibly targeted, but you can check these things:
- Make sure you’ve activated the offer first.
- Make sure your ThankYou account is linked to your Amazon account (here).
- Make sure you’re applying at least one ThankYou point at checkout.
- Try removing your ThankYou cards, then adding one back and linking it again. (original post)
- Bonus option: You can try removing all credit cards on your Amazon account apart from one ThankYou card. This has worked in the past, so maybe it’ll work for this.
Can you use this across multiple accounts?
It should work once on each account. Hard to know for certain that Amazon won’t have a problem with that.
Can I pay with my Amazon gift card balance in conjunction with Shop with Points?
Yes. Check out the post How to Use an Amazon Gift Card with a Shop-with-Points Order for 3 methods:
- Gift card balance is less than the purchase amount.
- Apply a gift card and it ‘unlocks’ your gift card balance.
- Set the points card as your default payment method.
Worked on both of my accounts, but it seems to be targeted. It’s possible it’ll work for anyone with a linked Citi ThankYou card (which has its account linked for pay-with-points), but it may also be targeted. Note: Some people are getting a message about how ‘this offer is by invitation only and you aren’t eligible’, and at the same time it says ‘promo code activated’. In that case, it should work for you at checkout.
This deal works on third party gift cards, but presumably not Amazon or Visa gift cards. Samples gift cards available on Amazon:
- Link to all physical gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
- Link to all electronic gift cards on Amazon (scroll down to find the third party cards)
- Whole Foods
- Giant Foods
- Stop and Shop
- Best Buy (physical)
Other interesting links:
- Amazon Gold Box Deals
- Airpods (latest model) on sale for $179.99 instead of $199.99
- Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS, 42mm) for $229 (reg. $309)
- iPad 32 GB for $249
Other similar deals:
- [YMMV] Amazon: Use One Chase Ultimate Rewards Points & Get $15 Off $60
- Amazon $30 off $60 when Using MR Points, Works on Gift Cards [Targeted]
- [YMMV] Amazon: Use One Discover Point/Cashback & Get $10 Off $30 (Works On Giftcards)
- [YMMV] Amazon: Change Your 1-Click Settings To Discover & Get $10 Credit
- [YMMV] Amazon: Get 25% Off Amazon Devices When You Use At Least One Membership Rewards Point ($50 Maximum Discount)
- Amazon: 25% Off Amazon Devices When You Use One Discover Point/Cashback
Hat tip to reader Chris L