Published on June 25th, 2019 | by William Charles27
Citi Checking Bonus – 40,000 American Airline Miles
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: 40,000 miles
- Availability: Nationwide, must have American Airlines account
- Direct deposit required: No
- Additional requirements: Deposit $15,000 and maintain that for 60 days
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: None
- Monthly fees: $25, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household limit: None
- Expiration date: July 31st, 2019
- Citi is offering a bonus of 40,000 American Airlines when you open a new Citibank Account Package and complete the following requirements:
- Deposit $15,000 within 30 days of account opening and maintain that balance for at least 60 days
The Fine Print
- For Citibank’s Retail Checking 40,000 AAdvantage® miles Offer (“40,000 AAdvantage® miles Offer”), “Eligible Customers” are (1) New-to-Citibank Customers, (2) who enroll in the AAdvantage® 40,000 miles Offer, (3) are at least eighteen (18) years of age, (4) have a valid W-9 or W-8BEN on file with Citibank and are not subject to back-up withholding, and (5) have an AAdvantage® account held in their name. “New-to-Citibank Customers” cannot be current owners of a Citibank consumer checking account or have been an owner on a Citibank® consumer checking account within the last 180 calendar days before enrollment.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Citi Account Package $25 Monthly Fee (30,000 mile Bonus)
- The Citibank Account Package needs $10,000 in combined average monthly balances to remain fee free. Otherwise, there is a $25 monthly fee.
Early Termination Fee
In the past, Citi has not charged any ETF, and none is mentioned for this offer.
We’ve seen a 30,000 mile bonus before and there is a 75,000 mile targeted bonus as well, although this 40,000 mile bonus is in line with the requirements for the 60,000 mile bonus on that offer. There is also a public bonus for up to $600, although the requirements matching this 40,000 mile bonus are for $400 ($500 with a direct deposit). I’ll just ignore the targeted bonuses as obviously they are better if you’re targeted. Some people will prefer $400/$500, whereas others will prefer this 40,000 mile offer.
Hat tip to reader Aaron D
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times