Published on August 15th, 2017 | by William Charles11
[Expired] [FL, AL only] BBVA Compass $200 In Branch Checking Bonus
This bonus has expired and is no longer available. Click here for a list of the best banking bonuses.
I’m reposting this because all the recent datapoints we have say that opening an account with BBVA is now a soft pull. Because of that I know think this bonus is worth completing and have added it to our best bank bonus page.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: Eligible branches in FL & AL only
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $300+
- Additional requirements: None
- Hard/soft pull: All recent DP say soft
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: $300, no AmEx allowed (no credit card funding in branch)
- Monthly fees: $4, waivable
- Early account termination fee: Bonus forfeit, one year
- Household limit: One
- Expiration date: August 21st, 2017
- BBVA Compass is offering a bonus of $200 when you open a new checking account at any eligible branch and receive a qualifying direct deposit of at least $300 within 60 days of account opening. $25 opening deposit required and credit card funding isn’t allowed in branch so bring cash.
The Fine Print
- You must be a new BBVA Compass consumer checking customer who has not had a BBVA Compass consumer checking account opened within the last 90 days or closed due to negative balance to be eligible for the bonus.
Eligible accounts include BBVA Compass ClearChoice Interest Checking, BBVA Compass ClearChoice Free Checking, and Easy Checking.
- Within sixty (60) days of account opening, at least one electronic direct deposit from an unrelated 3rd party (e.g. your employer or a government agency) in the amount of at least $300 must post to the new checking account.
- The account must be opened at one of the participating branches above or via 1-800-Compass, Option 2, with the account housed at a participating branch.
- We reserve the right to deduct the bonus amount if the account is closed within 12 months of opening.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Easiest account to keep fee free is the BBVA Compass ClearChoice Free Checking account as this has no monthly fee to worry about.
Early Account Termination Fee
Account needs to be kept open for 12 months otherwise they reserve the right to deduct the bonus.
I think this is a great bonus and worth opening if you live near a branch. The downside is obviously the in branch opening requirement, there are definitely better bonuses out there but if you’ve done those then this is also worth doing. They have also offered this in California & Colorado just recently, so I suspect it will be slowly making it’s way to all of BBVA’s branches.
Big thanks to reader, Chris who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications