Published on April 15th, 2018 | by William Charles355
Regions Bank $200 Checking Bonus [ AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX]
Deal is back
04/15/17: Offer is back, thanks to reader _here_.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200/$250 with referral
- Availability: AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, SC, TN & TX. Note that opening online doesn’t seem to work in some areas, according to some, you need to live within 50 miles of a branch. [Branch locator]
- Direct deposit required: Yes, $500+
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Unknown
- Credit card funding: Up to $1,000 (and another $1,000 when you open a free savings account). American Express not accepted.
- Monthly fees: $8-$18, waive-able
- Early account termination fee: $25 if closed within 180 days
- Household limit: None mentioned
- Expiration date:
June 30th, 2017 September 30th 2017 December 29th, 2017 March 31st, 2018 June 30th, 2018September 30th, 2018
- Receive a bonus of $200 when you open a new Regions Bank checking account and complete the following requirements:
- E-mail yourself a voucher if opening by phone/in branch otherwise use the promotional code 200SOC18Q2 online (probably a good idea to e-mail yourself a voucher due to some of the wording in the fine print)
- Make 10 purchases with a Regions Visa Checkcard (must post within 60 days of account opening) [Read: How To Meet Minimum Debit & Credit Transaction Requirements]
- Make $500 or more in qualifying direct deposits such as payroll or government benefits
- Enroll in Online Statements through Online Banking (within 60 days of account opening)
- You may be able to get another $50 by using a referral link (see below)
The Fine Print
- Our goal is to be your new bank. We think that once you bank with us, you will experience our award-winning customer service and become a long term customer. We reserve the right to terminate this offer without notice at any time in the event of any suspected or actual abuse or fraud.
- Offer valid in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Present a personalized voucher with applicant’s name and registered email address in order to open in branch. This offer is non-transferable, may not be combined with any other offer, does not apply if you have or had an ownership interest in a Regions checking account on or after July 2, 2017 only applies to personal LifeGreen checking accounts, and may be withdrawn at any time without notice. To earn this bonus, you must meet all requirements of the offer described above within 60 days of opening your new account. If earned, the bonus will be issued within 120 days of meeting these requirements and will be in the form of a credit to the new checking account which must be open at the time the credit is issued.
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Regions offers six LifeGreen checking accounts. One applies only to ages 62+, one applies only to students, and one has a $5 non-waive-able fee, leaving three. Of the three, the eAccess Account is the easiest to waive the fee on, given the requirements of this bonus, though the LifeGreen Checking account will also work.
LifeGreen eAccess Account, $8 Monthly Fee
The monthly fee goes from $8 to $10 if you opt for paper statements instead of online statements, but this bonus requires you to opt for online statements. The monthly fee is waived if you make 10 or more Regions CheckCard purchases per statement cycle.
LifeGreen Checking, $8 Monthly Fee
The monthly fee goes from $8 to $10 if you opt for paper statements instead of online statements, but this bonus requires you to opt for online statements. The monthly fee is waived if you do any of the following:
- Receive a single ACH direct deposit, such as a recurring payroll or government benefit deposit, of at least $500, OR
- Receive multiple ACH direct deposits, such as a recurring payroll or government benefit deposit, with a total combined amount of at least $1,000, OR
- Have an average monthly balance of $1,500 or more (this is presumably calculated using a daily average and is not the same as a minimum monthly balance)
LifeGreen Preferred Checking, $18 Monthly Fee
The monthly fee of $18 is waived if you meet any of the following:
- $5,000 average monthly balance, OR
- Combined minimum deposit balances from all of your Regions checking, savings, money markets, CDs and IRAs of $25,000, OR
- Combined $25,000 minimum outstanding loan balances from all of your Regions personal installment loans, lines of credit, equity lines of credit, equity loans, direct loans and credit cards in good standing, OR
- Any first-lien home mortgage with Regions in any amount and in good standing (excluding home equity loans and home equity lines of credit, and construction, manufactured housing and business loans)
Regions notes that the balances for the middle two requirements are determined at the beginning of the last day of your checking account statement period. (They also note that “good standing” means you are not past due or in default under your credit agreement, but hopefully everyone already knows that!).
Early Account Termination Fee
There is an early account closure fee of $25 if you close your account within 180 days of account opening.
Referral Bonus $50
Unfortunately it looks like the referral bonus is no longer being offered.
There is also a referral bonus you can receive in addition to this $200 bonus (bringing the total to $250). This has worked in the past, but it is no guarantee to work this time around. Feel free to share yours in the comments below.
Update: It’s now been awhile since the bigger bonuses, so might be worth going for this one.
They have offered recent bonuses of $300/$350 & 400/$450 so this bonus is significantly worse. Before that $200/$250 was fairly standard. We can only hope that the larger bonuses come back in the near future. Because those larger bonuses were so recently offered and the fact you usually need to wait a year+ before getting the bonus again I don’t consider this one of the best checking sign up bonuses currently available.
Big thanks to reader, Haywood J who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications