Published on June 27th, 2017 | by William Charles586
U.S. Bank $200 Checking Bonus – Nationwide & Public – No Direct Deposit Required
Update: I totally forgot to mention this, but U.S. Bank typically does not like to approve people for deposit accounts if you have ARS/ID analytics frozen. It might make sense to unfreeze those before applying. Another theory is you need to live somewhat close to a branch. It also seems like you need to live somewhat near a branch to be eligible (50 or 100 miles?) Others aren’t having this issue.
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: Nationwide
- Direct deposit required: Optional
- Additional requirements: Direct deposits totaling $500 or two bill payments
- Hard/soft pull: Soft
- ChexSystems: Mixed data points
- Credit card funding: Yes, up to $500
- Monthly fees: $0 – $8.98, waivable
- Early account termination fee: None
- Household limit: None mentioned
- Expiration date: August 21st, 2017
- U.S. Bank is offering a $200 bonus when you open a new Silver Check, Gold Checking or Platinum checking account and complete the following requirements:
- Enter promotion code on sign up or give it to your banker (you can request a code via e-mail or text)
- Complete one or more recurring direct deposits totaling at least $500 OR complete two or more U.S. Bank Bill Pay transfers of $25 each or more within 60 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- Checking Package Offer – A minimum deposit of $25 is required to open a U.S. Bank consumer checking account.
- To earn the $200 bonus offer, open a new U.S. Bank Consumer Silver Checking Package, Gold Checking Package or Platinum Checking Package between and including June 24, 2017 and August 21, 2017.
- Present your promotion code to a branch or 24-Hour phone banker or enter it online at account opening.
- Additionally, you must complete one or more recurring direct deposits totaling at least $500 OR complete two or more U.S. Bank Bill Pay transactions of $25 each or more (you are responsible to ensure sufficient funds are deposited to cover bill payments and enrollment in Online and/or Mobile banking is required) within 60 days of account opening.
- The checking account bonus will be deposited into your new consumer checking account within 60 days of direct deposit or Bill Pay verification, as long as your account is open.
- Bonus will be reported as interest earned on IRS form 1099-INT and recipient is responsible for any applicable taxes.
- Offer may not be combined with any other checking account bonus offers.
- Offer is not valid if you have an existing U.S. Bank consumer checking account, had a U.S. Bank consumer checking account in the last six months, or received other U.S. Bank bonus offers within the past six months.
- Current U.S. Bank employees are not eligible.
U.S bank has three checking products which qualify for this promotion:
- Silver Checking Account
- Gold Checking Account
- Platinum Checking account
Probably the easiest way to keep this fee free is to open the Gold Checking account; if you have a U.S Bank credit card then the monthly fees on this account are waived. You might also be able to get them waived through this.
If you don’t have a U.S Bank credit card and aren’t planning on getting one, your best bet is to open the Silver checking account which has of $8.95 ($6.95 if you enroll in paperless statements).
Fee is waived if you do these three things:
- Go paperless
- Open a Package Money Market Savings account (no fee)
- Do one of these two things:
- Have combined direct deposits totaling $1,000 or more, OR
- Maintain an average monthly balance of $1,500
They offer a public bonus like this once a year, last year it was $150 + $20. The good thing is you can do this bonus even if you did that one (as long as you’re not an existing checking customers, have been one in the last six months or have received a bonus in the last six months). This is an awesome bonus and ticks all the boxes:
- $200 is on the larger side, especially for nationwide bonuses
- Direct deposit not required
- Easy to keep fee free
This is going straight to the best checking bonus page. Another advantage is opening this would make you eligible for the Altitude Reserve card as well (still have to wait 30 days unless you apply in branch).
Hat tip to AlienBrainJuice
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications