Published on November 6th, 2018 | by William Charles61
[Expired] [YMMV & AL, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV] BB&T $300 Checking Bonus – Direct Deposit Optional
All codes are currently expired, for the current best checking bonuses click here.
Update 11/06/2018: Bonus is back, this time the promo code is AUXGB. You can validate it’s working as the promo code is accepted. Valid until December 27th, 2018.Hat tip to readers learnedpaw & @lowerybelairmd
Bonus is back, you can tell it’s valid again because the promo code is accepted. Hat tip to reader Brian. Make sure you change the promo code to ASNFV
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $300
- Availability: AL, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
- Direct deposit required: Optional
- Additional requirements: Use promo code AUXGB
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull It seems like they are very persistant about overdraft protection so make sure you don’t opt in for that
- ChexSystems: Yes
- Credit card funding: Up to $250 (says debit card only, but credit cards will work)
- Monthly fees: $30
- Early account termination fee: $25, 180 days
- Household limit: One
- Expiration date: August 12th, 2018
Direct link to offer (please note this doesn’t mention the bonus. Bonus terms were originally sent out via snail mail so this offer is targeted. It’s another matter whether that is enforced)
- BB&T is offering a bonus of $300 when you open a new BB&T elite gold checking account. You need to open the account with the promo code AUXGB and complete one of the following requirements:
- Maintain an average daily balance of $5,000 or more within 75 days of account opening OR
- Complete direct deposits of $2,000 or more within 75 days of account opening
The Fine Print
- Offer is limited to one incentive per household
- Any account not in good standing, closed or with a balance less than or equal to zero at the time we review account eligibility (between 75-120 days of account opening) will not receive the bonus
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
Elite Gold $30 Monthly
You can avoid the monthly fee on this account if you meet any of the following requirements:
- $25,000 combined deposit balance in checking, savings, CDs, IRAs, Money Rate Savings, Investor’s Deposit Account, or investments through BB&T Investment Services, Inc.
- $25,000 combined outstanding balance in retail loans and lines of credit3
- $150,000 BB&T personal mortgage loan balance
Early Account Termination Fee $25
All accounts come with a $25 early account closure fee if you close them within 180 days of account opening.
Main issue with this account is keeping the account fee free. You basically need $25,000 in combined deposits, that’s also enough to trigger the bonus requirement so that’s a plus. You’d need to keep the $25,000 invested until the bonus posts and then pay the $25 early account termination fee. This 75-120 days, let’s say 120 days just to be safe. This account earns 0.01% APY, so basically nothing. If you put the $25,000 into a 2% account during that period you’d earn ~$165. When you add the $25 closing fee you’re looking at a bonus that is only really $100 or so.
Big thanks to reader, John M who let us know. Learn how to find bonuses and contribute to the site here.
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times